I was using a stock Samsung S2 i9100G for some time now, but recently I experiences some bugs:
- The Phone will just freezes/”turn off”, seems to none as a Sleep of Death. Happens 1-10 times a day, which makes the phone very unreliable to use. Only happened when running on battery.
- Sometimes nobody can call me, they went straight to voice mail - probably related to the first bug.
After done a normal factory reset, removing a lot of apps, tried different battery, I decided to give Cyanogenmod a try. There are a lot of guides out there, Best the official one:
- S2: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_i9100g
- S4: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Jfltexx_Info
Nevertheless, I want to document my steps for later reference.
Samsung S4 GT i9505 I also tried all the steps with a Samsung S4 and annoted the differences. I installed a 4.4 (Cyanogenmod 11.2).
Step 1 Precaution
- Make sure you have the right CM Version. E.g. there is a difference between a Samsung S2G and S2. Find the product code in Settings -> Phone (something like GT-…). Write done alle the numbers written there
- Make Backups of your stuff - Photos, files, …
- I did this guide with running Windows 7, your mileage may very on other OS.
Step 2 Download
We need some stuff
Cyanogenmod (Android 4.3 JB)
The replacement operation system
- just download (first nightly or stable)
- put the zip file in the root of your phone’s filesystem (via USB)
Samsung S4: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=jfltexx
You might also want Google Maps, Mail, Play Store on the phone
- just download (Something like: gapps-jb-XXXXX-signed.zip)
- put the zip file in the root of your phone’s filesystem
Samsung S4: as today (12/17/2013) no offical released versions on goo.im, but: http://www.android-hilfe.de/root-custom-roms-modding-fuer-lg-g2/513012-google-apps-gapps-4-4-2-fuer-kitkat-aosp-roms.html
Visual C++ Runtime
Requirement for heimdall (Windows)
- Choose ‘x86’ version, even if you have 64bit computer!
- download and install. I didn’t needed to restart.
Heimdall is a tool to install new bootloader on Android phones
- download and extract
- Install/Patch USB Drivers:
List all devices
- Choose something related to “Samsung USB Driver” from the dropdown
- Replace/Install Driver
A bootloader/recovery mode replacement - kind of like a BIOS
- download, extract
- put the
Samsung S4: On http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager Download http://download2.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-22.214.171.124-jfltexx.img
Step 3: Flash Bootloader Heimdall
This step will set a warranty bit on the Samsung S4!
- Disconnect USB from PC
- Bring phone into Download Mode: Press and hold Vol Down + Home + Power. You should get into the Download Mode (“Do not turn off target!”)
- on Windows:
Right Clickon the Heimdall folder “Open Command Window here”
heimdall flash --kernel zImage --no-reboot
heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery-clockwork-126.96.36.199-jfltexx.img --no-rebootsomething should happen on the phone
After it finished, do not make a normal boot again, because the current operation system will undo our change. If you accidently reboot to the stock Android, you have to redo the steps.
Step 4: Install Cyanogenmod
You might want to remove the SD-card and/or SIM, but it is not required.
- Boot into Clockwork Recovery and flash Cyanogenmod: press and hold Vol Up + Home + Power. If the Samsung logo appears, you have to release the power button, otherwise the phone restarts again.
wipe data/factory reset
install zip from sdcard
choose zip from internal sdcardor so, last menu entry for me,
S4: Navigate to folder
/0, then you should be on your internal memory card
- Choose the CM-zip file
- Repeat the last 2 steps for GoogleApps zip file
After finishing installing, reboot your phone.
Didn’t had a crash since 2 days now.
- No uninstallable Samsung Apps anymore
- Rooted - finally can install good Backup-Tools, per-app-permissions, AdBlock, System-wide Proxies/VPN (Tor), …
- Double tap on home button finally without function. Always hated the voice interaction of the Samsung OS
- S2: Running Android 4.3 instead of 4.1 stock